10 Tips for a better Outdoor Kitchen Design
Outdoor kitchens are gaining popularity. The idea of entertaining guests outside with nature as your backdrop appeals to many homeowners. Below are some tips on designing the best outdoor kitchen for your home.
- Apply good kitchen design principles for functional zones of the kitchen. Cold areas such as, refrigeration, hot areas like, grills and cooktops, wet areas such as, sinks, and dry areas like, prep counters and storage, must all work together effectively in proper proximity, each with enough space allocated for these items.
- Keep in mind that indoor and outdoor kitchens are simpatico. The most significant difference between indoor and outdoor kitchen design is often the exposure to the elements. Other differences include more difficulty in running utilities such as water. And there is usually no outdoor wall, so the outdoor kitchen equipment typically defines the room boundaries.
- In planning the outdoor kitchen, it’s important to think about the relationship between the indoor and outdoor kitchens together.
- Choose low-maintenance materials and equipment designed to withstand the outdoor climates. High-quality stainless steel provides a sanitary surface that’s easily cleaned and corrosion-resistant.
- Counters and patio or decking material needs to be highly resistant to grease stains and able to hold up to high temperatures.
- Natural stone counters require sealing on a regular basis. If you go with granite, use cultured granite with UV stabilizers. Avoid porous materials such as limestone. In climates with considerable freezing and thawing, avoid tile countertops.For flooring, sealed pavers or concrete works.
- Plan the entire outdoor entertaining space as part of a single functional plan. Dining areas, cooking areas and pool areas will coexist. Think of these as outdoor rooms and consider the flow of traffic as
- Plan for the utilities. When planning layouts, think about the best practical placement or installation of the necessary gas, water and electrical supply.
- Incorporate music and other entertainment so the homeowner doesn’t face the design challenge of adding it later.
- Install adequate task lighting as well as ambient lighting to accommodate after-dark cooking and entertaining.
KGT Builders serves communities in the Naples, Florida area. Call us for more information about bathroom, kitchen or entire home remodels at 239-992-2300.
(as seen on HGTV.com)